Wednesday 26 October 2016

Visual Language: Line Quality



5 pages of sketches







When sketching the 5 pages in relation to my chosen subject I drew them freely with no restrictions unlike todays task on line quality.


Experimentation with Lines

I produced 4 A2 sheets based on the quality of lines. Each sheet was represented a different shape, and each shape was created with a different tool/quality of medium. 

Things I used to change the quality of line included:Fine Liners, Different gradients of pencil, Different thicknesses of brushes, Brush pens, Calligraphy nibs, Pieces of card, Snapped/chipped ends of brushes, Marker pens.




                     



At the beginning of this process I didn't really see the point and I couldn't understand why it was important to experiment in line making, however once I began  creating these lines I found myself focusing on not only the shape anymore but the actual lines and structure that made up the shape. I began to consider how I could make them all different to each other which meant searching for different tools such as broken brushes or pieces of card.

What went well?

I think I was able to successfully use a range of tools to compare and explore different line qualities in the form of different shapes. I was also able to jump out of my comfort zone and learn that trying out new challenges actually enhances your way of thinking about your drawings more carefully.





No comments:

Post a Comment