Monday 7 November 2016

Visual Language: Shape and Texture

People see more, when they see less.

In todays session we focused on the use of shape and texture and how we can interpret it in our work. This was a method of work which was highly based on paper cut and collage which is something I don't tend to use frequently.

I was introduced to a number of artists that I was really able to appreciate, these included Rob Hodson, Geoff Mcfetridge, Luke Best and Ryo Takemasa. These artists mainly use basic shapes and flat colour with a minimal aesthetic. I'm quite happy with the fact I'm able to appreciate these artists work as feel like I'm used to enjoying more detailed and complex images (which is also how I tend to like drawing) however, from this section I found that I do actually enjoy focusing of the power of shape and flat colour and it is something I'm going to try and continue to work with.



Collage

At first I didn't really like the idea of collage, its something I don't usually enjoy doing when its purely based on basic shapes and flat colours however once I got into it I found that I didn't actually mind doing it. The collage task was to create five different illustrations on a piece of fruit or veg, we could only use one colour (which had to be paper) and then the other colour had to be black (ink,paint etc). The aim was to consider different shapes, edges, viewpoints and interpretations.



I found myself trying to sketch out my fruit before hand so then I could cut it out precisely, Matt then told me to avoid drawing the outline and to start taking risks after doing this I found myself cutting out the shape without even thinking, it just came to me naturally and this has made me feel a lot more comfortable and confident and I feel like I have started to appreciate pure solid shapes.

Texture

Make an A1 portrait of yourself using Shape and Texture.

The second task I didn't like at all. I kept having the urge to over complicate things and add lots of detail. Matt told me to simplify my portrait in my sketchbook first and to focus on shapes and how I can simplify them e.g do I have a distinctive style of my hair?
I then started to over think the task - I needed to just step out of my comfort zone and go for it. I did however like adding the texture, which was the main focus of this task, I enjoyed creating squiggly lines with ink and collaging them onto my hair to give it texture whilst it contrasted with the flat shapes and colour.



 I walked away from the task really unhappy about my work, I got home and acted upon the advise I had been given by Matt. I gained a fresh thought on the task and started to feel a little more comfortable with my ideas, so I sat down and started to draw portraits in a very simplified manner whilst adding texture and focusing purely on shape. I was pleased with the outcomes and I think its important to realise that I can't just walk away from my work feeling unhappy and not willing to do anything about it, I'm glad I returned to the task and did something about it.



    





No comments:

Post a Comment