Tuesday 8 November 2016

Visual Language: Tone, Mark and Pattern

It's really interesting to see that now are than ever I have started to recognise and think about line ALLLL the time, before these sessions I never really thought about the power of line and what it can do to an image and how it can transform your images. 


I have used hatching and mark making in this image above purely to help sculpt the three dimensional bear - it helps the viewer understand that the bear isn't flat and it helps give the image a slight real feel. I would really like to explore this concept further as although at times it can be time consuming depending on what scale you are working with, but I really enjoy it (kind of therapeutic??) and it also looks extremely visually appealing!


Within the image above I decided to experiment with pointillism (very lovely method but very time consuming) I love how such tiny dots can give such an amazing tone!!! it almost blends in completely - again this gives the clown a slightly realistic look - it prevents the image from being flat. The more dots I add the darker it looks and it nicely sculpts the clowns face. What I was trying to achieve within this image was intense tonal values, so lots of dark and light areas within the face by only using dots.


I think the most simplistic way of approaching tone is using pencil and simply shading/adding pressure to your pencil to achieve dark tones.

No comments:

Post a Comment