Monday 30 January 2017

Visual Language: Frame


Coming to terms with Frame.

In todays session I didn't exactly love the outcome of the task, although I have left with gaining a lot more knowledge and practice on studying Frame. I wasn't looking forward to todays session purely because I know considering frame is sometimes quite a struggle for me and I find it difficult deciding on what element of my image should go where or should I over lap etc..

With the help from a sheet the class had been given, I was able to understand the concept of frame a little more easier and in a little more depth.

How can we place importance on certain information within the frame? Its very important to consider elements such as Tone, overlapping, cropping, scale..

What are the benefits of overlapping objects? It's a good way to organise objects and making things prominent, it also can create depth within the frame. Overlapping provides a good way to organise varied objects into interesting unified shapes.


Important points to remember:
  • Dont split the picture in half.
  • Use the whole picture area.
  • Don't line things up.
  • Vary the placement.
  • Don't crowd the bottom.
  • Use the upper half too, its a mistake to waste any of your picture area.
  • Dont centre everything.
  • Move things to the side.
  • Don't leave a hole, this will occur when you line things against the boarders.
  • Make good use of your space.
  • Don't let the objects touch.
  • Overall the objects.


Of course rules are meant to be broken and I think its important to remember that you don't have to stick by "rules" and if I personally like the way an image looks when it doesn't fit in with specific rules then that is ok...


Looking at examples of the use of frame in Artists work:






It was really beneficial to have a look at some examples of successful uses of frame in other artists work, one of my favourite was by Dadu Shin. I think the composition of this piece is really beautiful, the bottom heavy image provides the piece with empty space and makes the image seem silent which is what I'm sure the artist is trying to convey. This piece is a visual representation of insomnia and I think the colours really reflect this successfully. In terms of frame I can really appreciate the overlapping of the body-like shape above the character, it makes the image seem real.



After having a class discussion on frame and arrangement it was our turn to have a play about with the concept. We were given 3 objects to experiment with - an elephant, yourself, and a butterfly. After the previous composition task I feel as if I understand the concept a lot better, and I've realised that the more I practice with it the more comfortable I will be with it.



  • After this task Ive realised the importance of roughs, its really difficult to just have one idea and get it done without testing out loads of different concepts.
  • I'm not majorly happy with the outcome but this was because it was very rushed, so maybe spend more time on experimenting with composition again?
  • I also HATE working on such big scales!!



No comments:

Post a Comment