Monday 20 March 2017

Charles and Ray Eames: Designers of the twentieth Century.

Getting kinda sick of looking at the same stuff on a computer screen???

I'm getting kinda bored of relying on stuff from the internet, I feel like I'm seeing the saaaaame things and I also feel like some websites (defo wikipedia) are quite unreliable and not as legit as published books. unfortunately I've left it a bit late so a lot of books I intended to look at where taken (lesson learnt - first come first serve) however I still managed to grab a really helpful and incredibly interesting one and although I am comfortable with the amount of research I have done I still felt as if books are more likely to hold information that aren't as known on the internet? if that makes sense?

Charles and Ray Eames: Designers of the 20th Century by Pat Kirkham.


I came across this beautiful image in the book and I was just instantly curious and intrigued about it, I just love it, I love the layout, the colour palette, the basic shapes of the chairs everything. I find it really interesting how I don't see it as chairs anymore????? they're just shapes? I actually forgot that they were chairs! do they have to look like chairs? can I work with this? I'm going to start to really focus on shape, and how these chairs are built up and constructed, I'm going to try and put myself in the position of Ray and Charles, what where they thinking? what were their thought processes? 


Not just furniture.

I've realised that its hard to talk about Charles and Ray without mentioning furniture and whilst this was garded as more successful (commercially) they are talented in so many other areas.

Architecture

Sweetzer House (between 1930–33)
St. Louis Post-Dispatch model home (193?)
St. Mary's Catholic Church (Helena-West Helena, Arkansas) (1934)
St. Mary's Church (Paragould, Arkansas) (1935)
Dinsmoor House (1936)
Dean House (193?)
Meyer House (1938)
Bridge house (Eames-Saarinen) (1945)
Entenza House (1949)
Eames House (1949)
Max De Pree House (1954)

Films

Tops (1969)
Toccata for the trains (1957)
The infomation machine (1957)
SX-70 (polaroid) (1972)
Solar Do-Nothing Machine (1957,1995)
Soft pad (1970)
Powers of ten and the relative size of things in the universe (1977)
National Fisheries centre and aquarium (1967)
IBM Fair Presentation Film 1 (1962)
IBM Fair Presentation Film 2 (1963)
Goods (1981)
Design Q+A (1972)
Day of the Dead (1957)
Copernicus (1973)
Computer perspective (1972)
Blacktop (1952)
Babbage's Calculating machine or difference engine (1968)
Atlas: A sketch of the rise and fall of the intro to feedback (1960) 
Alpha (1972)
A rough sketch for a proposed film dealing with the powers of ten and the relative size of things in the universe (1969)
A computer glossary (1968)
A communication primer (1953)
670/671 The making of the eames lounge chair and Ottoman (2006)




No comments:

Post a Comment